Paramedics have confirmed that at least two people have died as a temporary scaffolding structure, used as a bridge for cyclists and pedestrians, collapsed in Sandton on Wednesday afternoon.
The collapse of the bridge happened as the City of Johannesburg promoted the Ecomobility World Festival which encouraged motorists to park their cars, cycle, walk and use public transport to get around Sandton.
Here is what you should know about the collapsed bridge.
– The bridge is named The Great Walk Bridge.
– It was under construction by Murray & Roberts.
– Construction began in March and was expected to be completed in October 2016.
– It is intended to be a 5km pedestrian and cycling path joining the Alexandra township and the Sandton CBD.
– According to the Johannesburg Development Agency, an estimated 10 000 people walk and cycle between the two areas daily.
– Plans were to install lighting, benches, hawkers’ stalls and CCTV cameras.